Sermon starters related to health and health justice from diverse faith traditions
While some of the policy information in these sermons is dated, the scripture and scriptural interpretations provided may be useful in preaching about health justice in Texas today.
Have a sermon starter you would like to share? Send it to Above Politics! We will post many of the responses and credit you and/or your congregation. Email us here.
- Making Moral Healthcare | Ari Margolis, now a rabbi, written and delivered when he was a student at Hebrew Union College (2009)
- Why We Must Support Universal Health Care | Rabbi Elliot N. Dorff, Rector and Sol and Anne Dorff Professor of Philosophy at the American Jewish University in California (2009).
- Islamic Perspectives on Responding to the Uninsured | Ahmed Nezar Kobeisy, Ph.D., Imam and Counselor at the Islamic Society of Central New York, Faculty at Syracuse University College, Le Moyne College, SUNY at Oswego and Hartford Seminary, and a Muslim Chaplain at Syracuse University
- Always and Forevermore | Rev. Kathryn Ransdell, formerly of First United Methodist Church of Dallas (2009)
- Fulfilling Our Vocation | Rev. Mary Spradlin, St. Stephen United Methodist Church in Arlington (2009)
- Jump in the Water: A Sermon on Health Justice | Rev. Dan De Leon, Friends Congregational Church (2009)
- Resource Sermons | North Carolina Council of Churches (2009)
- Health Care Sabbath Sermon | Rev. Jackson H. Day, Trinity United Methodist Church (2002)
- Universal Health Care, A Faith Agenda | Bishop Leontine T. C. Kelly, retired, United Methodist Church (1994)